Today I will be installing a MaxxAir Fan/Mate rain cover over the top of the Fantastic Vent that I just installed on the roof of my dive trailer so that I will be able to use the ventilation worry free in any weather conditions, rain or shine.
This installation is also a very simple job to complete. Make sure that any rain cover you decide to use is specifically designed for high-flow ventilation fans otherwise you can starve the fan for air and burn the motor up in it quickly. The MaxxAir Fan/Mate is designed to be used with the Fantastic Vents roof fans and has been tested to be used with them. I will be installing the model 850 because my dive trailer is white. The Fan/Mate is also available in black (model 950).
- Sit the vent cover over the top of the vent and center it. Decide which side you want to have the hinges mounted on so that you can easily open the Fan/Mate for maintenance and cleaning. Make sure that it’s opening will not interfere with anything else that is already on your roof.
- Open the vent lid slightly so that you can access the side of its frame.
- Using a ruler and pencil, mark a line on your roof at the rear edge of your fan housing on the side that will have the locking brackets (the non-hinged side).
- Place one of the locking brackets so that the rear edge of it is exactly 1 ½” from the line that you drew in step 3.
- Mark the screw holes in the bracket onto the side of the fan housing and drill a 3/32″ hole in the center of each. Make sure that you do not drill more than ½” deep into the fan housing wall.
- Secure the locking bracket to the fan housing wall using two of the supplied self-tapping screws.
- Measure the second locking bracket so that its rear edge is exactly 9 ⅛” from the rear edge of the first locking bracket and mark the locations for the two mounting screw holes in this bracket onto the fan housing side.
- Drill a 3/32″ hole in the center of each. Make sure that you do not drill more than ½” deep into the fan housing wall.
- Secure the second locking bracket to the fan housing wall using two of the supplied self-tapping screws.
- Repeat steps 3-9 on the other side of the roof vent to install the hinges.
- Open the hinges and slide one of the supplied carriage bolts through each hinge so that when the hinge is closed the carriage bolt is sticking straight up.
- Set the MaxxAir Fan/Mate down onto the carriage bolts and threaded studs on the locking brackets over the vent.
- On the locking side of the vent cover, install the supplied wing nuts onto the threaded posts on the locking brackets, but do not tighten all the way yet.
- Place a supplied star washer on both of the hinge side carriage bolts and install a nut and tighten securely.
- Now you can fully tighten the wing nuts on the locking brackets all the way down hand-tight.
- To open the MaxxAir Fan/Mate for cleaning and maintenance just unscrew the wing nuts on the locking side and lift the cover open. Be sure to retighten the wing nuts when you are finished.