This is an update to an earlier post. Click here to read the original post.
It has now been two full weeks since the infection started and my ear still will not equalize so I went back to the doctor today to have my ear checked again.
Apparently the Augmentin (Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid) antibiotics and the antibiotic ear drops that the doctor put me on two weeks ago did not clear up the infection in my ear. The infection in my ear canal has cleared up, but the infection in my middle and inner ear seems to be antibiotic-resistant. There is also fluid still being retained behind the membrane (ear drum), which they say may take weeks to dry up.
This is the second ear infection that I have had so far this year. Because of my past issues with ear infections, and my eustachian tubes being so tiny, they are referring me to an Ear, Nose & Throat specialist to have it checked. They also want to send me for a hearing test on that ear.
They are still worried about the possibility of there being a tiny hole in the membrane, but I don’t think there is because it is not draining fluid. It seems as if there were a hole there that it would drain and relieve the pressure behind it.
I will have to wait for the ENT specialist to call me to set up the appointments to find out what exactly is going on in there. So in the meantime they have put me on stronger intravenous antibiotics and I now have a portable pump that I wear in a shoulder pouch for the next ten days.
I hate getting IV’s. When I get my really bad migraines I have to get them for pain medication and hydration, now I have to wear one 24-hours a day for the next week and a half. This really sucks. I will see how it goes, you know they say that medics and doctors are the worst possible patients.
It’s been two full weeks since I have been able to dive, and it looks like it will be at least another two weeks before I can even begin to think about it again. My gills are going to dry up!