Dive 65 – Night Dive

Date: April 24, 2013       Dive Shop:  Island Divers Hawaii, Hawaii Kai, HI.

Location: Corsair Wreck,  Oahu, Hawaii

Dive Type: Boat    Environ: Ocean / Salt   Conditions:  STRONG CURRENT

Visibility: 60-80′      Air Temp:   77      Bottom Temp:  72.6      Weight:  24lbs.

Time In:  20:33    Time Out:  21:03

Max Depth:  103′       Average Depth: 50.6′     Time:   :30        Safety Stop: 3 Min / 15′

Start PSI: 2,844    End PSI: 1,953      Air/EANx:  32%

Exposure Protection: 7-Mil Full Wetsuit, Hood, Boots, Gloves, 2 Dive Lights

Equipment: Spare Air


This was the last dive for the Night Diver Specialty course.

On this dive I had to sit on the bottom in the darkness with our dive lights turned off for 3 minutes. Right before we hit the bottom of the line we hit extremely strong current making us feel like a flagpole holding onto the line with our legs floating in the current.

On the bottom, even though I was over weighted I had to hold onto the huge anchor that the buoy is attached to just to be able to stay in one place for the tree minutes that was required to complete the skill. Sitting there in the darkness without my light was extremely spooky. I was able to see bio-luminescence from a lot of tiny microscopic sea life floating past, it reminded me of getting hit in the head and “seeing stars”.

After the 3 minute darkness skill was completed we tried to tour the Corsair wreck, but the current was way too strong so we ended the dive early and ascended.

On the way back up to the boat we were assaulted by hundreds of small jelly fish tightly floating together in a swarm. Normally this would not be considered a big thing, except for the fact that I am severely allergic to jelly fish stings and insect stings and go into anaphylactic shock. I do keep an Epi-Pen in my dive back on the boat just in case I stop breathing. Luckily I did not get stung due to my full exposure suit, gloves, boots, and full hood tucked into my wetsuit. All of the divers that were not completely covered like I was got numerous stings each.

I have never experienced such a compacted swarm of jelly fish before, partly because I time my dives with the lunar calendar to avoid them, but I was tricked this time with them out there on the night of a full moon instead of after it.

Getting back on the boat was made difficult because while we were down on the bottom the swells had really picked up and the boat was getting tossed around quite a bit. Trying to climb back up the ladder reminded me of trying to ride a bucking bull in a rodeo.

iGills Snapshot

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: